Finding reputable providers, I've found, can be tricky. Consumer Reports made the following information available, about where to find the best providers. This is the kind of "sticky note" information that I think is useful, so it's provided here (Source: Consumer Reports Health.)
Some guidance on finding a practitioner:
- Acupuncture and acupressure. Contact the American Academy of Medical Acupuncture (www.medicalacupuncture.org) or the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (www.nccaom.org).
- Chiropractic. Contact the American Chiropractic Association (www.acatoday.org).
- Massage. Contact the American Massage Therapy Association (www.amtamassage.org) or the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (www.ncbtmb.org).
- Meditation. For stress-management programs, check local hospitals and nearby medical schools. Or teach yourself with a book or audiotape. The Meditation Society of America posts free instructional information at www.meditationsociety.com.
- Yoga. Contact your local yoga studio or fitness center. Information about yoga therapists can be found at the International Association of Yoga Therapists at www.iayt.org.